…even highly educated people and [judges] perform better with a visual contract – Stefania Passera
© 2014 Stefania Passera http://www2.iaccm.com/resources/?id=8255&cb=1478262447
Imagine a world where your contract is…
- A device to increase chances of closing a sale
- A document that can be used by sales team and operations
- A map for the relationship with your client
- A tangible demonstration of your values as a business
Checklist Legal loves the ideas of Helena Haapio who outlines that we can make a contract into a tool for business action and communication, to create usable, living contracts that promote, facilitate and guide desired action and help manage change.
Have a look at some of Checklist Legal’s posts about visual contracts here or check out @ChecklistLegal on Instagram (#visualcontracts) for a taste of visual contracts.
VISUAL CONTRACT RESOURCES
Helena Haapio is Checklist Legal’s favourite academic and advocate for visual contracts. She has authored, edited and/or co-authored nine books (some in English and some in Finnish) as well as presenting at many conferences and writing for law journals. Below are some of my favourites:
- Next Generation Contracts: A Paradigm Shift, Doctoral dissertation, Lexpert Ltd, 2013
- Proactive Law for Managers: A Hidden Source of Competitive Advantage, Gower Publishing, 2011 (co-authored with George Siedel) Sample Chapter – Seize Competitive Advantage: A Legal Plan for Managers
- Helena Haapio, Daniela Alina Plewe & Robert de Rooy: Next Generation Deal Design – Comics and Visual Platforms for Contracting. In Erich Schweighofer et al. (eds.), Networks. Proceedings of the 19th International Legal Informatics Symposium IRIS 2016. Österreichische Computer Gesellschaft OCG / firstname.lastname@example.org, Wien 2016, pp. 373–380.
Stefania Passera is an academic and designer who has conducted really interesting studies into visual contracting and user centered contract design.
- Article on Visual Law – What Lawyers can learn from information designers
- Presentation – Beyond the wall of text – how information design can make contracts user friendly
- Webinar – Improving Contract Clarity: Haapio and Passaria with accompanying notes:7779_iaccmwebinarjul14–stefania.pdf
A short video which introduces the concept of Conscious Contracts – contracts which seek to build ongoing relationships and take people, planet and profit into account.
Mapping document information
Information Mapping offers a paid service (no affiliation to Checklist Legal) for mapping documents but they also have some great before and after examples which will inspire you as well as a document test so you can test out how much faster visual documents are rather than text based.
Agree Visually is another consulting company offering services to visualise text based documents and contracts. The have some great examples which will inspire you.